Rodrigo Martins is full professor in Materials Science Department of Faculty of Science and Technology of New University of Lisbon, a Fellow of the Portuguese Engineering Academy since 2009 and a member of the European Academy of science since 2016. He was decorated with the gold medal of merit and distinction by the Almada Municipality for his R&D achievements.
Currently he is the:
- Head of Materials Science Department of FCT-UNL;
- Director of the Centre of Excellence in Microelectronics and Optoelectronics Processes of the Institute of New Technologies, CEMOP/Uninova;
- Head of the group of Materials for Electronics, Optoelectronics and Nanotechnologies (MEON) of CENIMAT/I3N;
- Member of the Advisory Board of Horizon 2020 on DG Research and Innovation (Advanced Materials, Nanotechnology, Biotechnology and Manufacturing);
- Chair of The European Committee Affairs of European Materials Research Society, E-MRS;
- Chair of The Global Leadership and Service Award Committee of the International Union of Materials Research Societies, IUMRS;
- Vice-Chair of Energy, Materials Industry Research Initiative, EMIRI;
Rodrigo Martins has been involved in the pioneer European research on amorphous silicon semiconductors and pioneer with is group worldwide activity related to passive and active oxides, the so called transparent electronics and it is one of the inventors of the so-called paper electronics, where paper is exploit not only as a substrate but also as a functional component in active devices.
Martins published over 700 papers and during the last 10 years got more than 14 International and national prizes and distinctions for his work (e.g: Lisbon Energy Live Expo, Innovation prize, 2012 (Solar tiles); European Patent Office Innovation nomination 2016 (paper electronics); Exame Informática Innovation prize 2016 (paper solar cells) ).